- Media and Communications Policy, Governance, Internet Governance (ICANN / IGF), Spectrum, Internet, Community Informatics
- Communications, Science and Technology
Current Institutional Affiliation(s) (Past Affiliations)
Department of Communication
College of Liberal Arts and SciencesUniversity of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignUrbana, IL, United StatesAssociate Professor
Institute of Communications Research
College of MediaUniversity of Illinois-- Urbana-ChampaignUrbana, Illinois, United States
Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Harvard UniversityCambridge , MA, United StatesFellow
Coordinated Science Laboratory
College of EngineeringUniversity of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignUrbana, IL, United States
Southern California Tribal Digital Village
Southern California Tribal Chairmen's AssociationValley Center, CA, United States
Christian Sandvig is an Associate Professor of Communication and Media as well as a Research Associate Professor at the Coordinated Science Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
He studies communication technology and public policy -- especially the way that legal, social, and technical elements work together (or don't work together) to shape systems of communication like the Internet.
He is also a Fellow of the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University (2009-2010).
Publications and Resources
- Christian Sandvig, Rajiv C. Shah. Software Defaults as De Facto Regulation: the Case of the Wireless Internet. Information, Communication, and Society.
- Christian Sandvig. An Initial Assessment of Cooperative Action in Wi-Fi Networking. Telecommunications Policy.
- Tara McPherson (ed.), Christian Sandvig. "Wireless Play and Unexpected Innovation." In Digital Youth, Innovation, and the Unexpected. Tara McPherson (ed.) MIT Press, 2008. 77-97.
- Christian Sandvig. "Access to the Electromagnetic Spectrum is a Foundation for Development." In Media Matters: Perspectives on Advancing Governance and Development. Internews, 2006.